Friday, November 7, 2014

Temika McCann
Blog wk 2 6165-1

                                                  TV Show Observation Sound On and Off

I have never watched preacher of La before, but I always was curious what the show was all about. As a result I choose this show for my blog this week. What I perceive with the sound off the show seems lively, individuals are smiling and laughing it seems to me that they are having a good time. Show consists of Preachers of LA," the faith-based reality show that sparked controversy and critical debate. The show also allow preacher to be open and transparent with each other’s. The show tells how preachers and their family live outside of the church. There was a lot of enjoyment, face expressions and some nonverbal communication going on. I also noticed that some pastors were looking very serious and some was happy engage in a conversation for example Noel Jones and his friend Desire seem very much happy with each other. Some preachers and wife in the show look very serious and some was smiling and some even showed some angry. This show to me showed a lot of serious emotion. As I was observing the individual, I was not too sure of some of the body language, but I was able to see a lot of facial expression and smiling that was going on a lot in the show.

After truing up the TV sound and what I observe about the individual in the show, I was accurate about what I was observing with the TV sound down. I was correct to see several individual in the show happy the first one was bishop Noel Jones seem to be the one who was happy when he was talking to Desire in the show. I   anticipated that the woman was smiling with Bishop she like him and it turn out to be correct of what I was observing.   I was amazed of myself after watching this couple and to discover that I was correct was awesome.  Watching the individual face expression let me realize how vital it is to pay attention when we our engage into a dialogue with others and it let me know also how a person might be feeling. I also  realize that face expression can tell you a lot about how other are seeing thing from his/her perception.


I realize with some of the  assumptions that I made was correct, but if I would have watch the show more often, I think I could give a more precise decision on all the individuals who played a significant role in the show. Overall I still think I did a good job especially when, I observed the individual would definitely would be more correct had I known the show and the role of  each characters because I would understand them much better and place their actions and roles into place. I also learned that when you are able to hear individual talking in a show you can be able to really make a accurate assumption about each individual. I learned so much from this week blog and I gained so much insight that will help me be more aware when communicating with others on a daily basis. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I have never heard of this show before and it seems like there were lots of observation done on facial expressions. Also, it seems like your observations were correct after all. I also agree that when we are able to hear the person's speech we are able to make more accurate listening and assumptions about the individual and conversation. This week's blogs have really made me aware of the importance of sound in conversation and our tone of voice depicts our feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamika,
    As you stated it is vital to pay close attention when you are communicating with others. Non-verbal cues such as body language are really more important than what a person is actually saying; body language tells the true story of what people are trying to say. We exhibit non-verbal cues like folding our arms, rolling our eyes, yawning etc. sometimes without realizing that we are doing it and the actual message that we are conveying to the recipients. As a result of this week’s readings I am now more aware of my own nonverbal cues and I pay more attention to others people’s nonverbal behaviors when I’m communicating with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Temika,
    I think I have seen commercials for this show. Is it supposed to be reality type of show? I find it interesting to see what actually happens when you turn on the volume on a show. Actors do really well expressing themselves both verbally and nonverbally. When my son was a newborn, I use to turn on the tv during the middle of the night. I never had the sound very loud, and I had to watch for nonverbal cues. I never seemed to miss much for the show because they were so good about the cues they presented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Temika! I hought is was very interesting that I could tell so much about what was happening in the program by just watching the body language of the characters. It seems that you feel that way too. How could you use this exercise to train staff members on the imortance of non-verbal communication?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Temika,
    "Watching the individual face expression let me realize how vital it is to pay attention when we our engage into a dialogue with others and it let me know also how a person might be feeling. "
    I loved this statement in your blog this week! Sometimes when I'm face to face with a person having a meeting, or just chatting, I let myself get distracted, and I'm sure they can tell that from my facial expressions. I also lose out on an opportunity to read their own facial expressions. I need to pay more attention to this so that I am aware on both sides--I think that will help my communication techniques a lot.
    Machaela

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very interesting to watch a show that you have never seen with the sound off.It forces you to really pay attention to body language a make assumptions about what is going on and how everyone relates to each other.

    ReplyDelete