Thursday, November 27, 2014

  • Temika Mccann
  • Blog week 5 (6165)
                                    Disagreements, or Conflicts


  • On last week I had a disagreement with one of my family member concerning her child grades in school. I was sharing with her that it is not ok for Malaya to keep getting behind in her class work. My cousin Brionna was very upset with me.I shared with her how difficult it can be being as a single mom, but it vital that Malaya catch up with her reading assignments as well. Over the last pass week I have learn how to communicate more effectively with others. The two strategies that, I have learn that would help me manage and resolve this conflict in a more productively and optimistic way. I feel that the R’s help me in a significant way first you have to make sure when you are communicating with others it should always be mutual respect between the communicators and race, religion and personal beliefs should always be respect whether it is on a personal or a professional level. The second strategy, I would create a human positive connection between the person that I am communicating with and show them respect, compassion and empathy of what they might be dealing with and I am willing to compromise if all necessary mean to resolve any conflict in a respectable matter. I feel when people communicate with one another I believe to treat others the way they wish to be treated, effective communication succeeds
  • I would like for one or two colleagues to share with me how have you learned to be more of a effective communicator as it relates to issues and conflict that we all deal with on a daily basis and what are some of the skills you have learn in this class to help you to resolve these issues in a positive way. I will wait for your reply.
Reference:
The Center for Nonviolent Communication. (n.d.). The Center for Nonviolent Communication. Retrieved from http://www.cnvc.org

3 comments:

  1. Temika,
    As you pointed out when communicating with others using mutual respect must be at the forefront. As an outsider looking in at the conflict that you described, I think that maybe your cousin felt like you were attacking her parenting skills so she became upset, although that was not your intent that is probably how she felt. A strategy that you might want to use in the future is to voice your concern in a compassionate, giving and receiving way. Think about the Platinum Rule and put yourself and your cousin’s shoes and try to imagine how she feels and what kind of emotions she is experiencing, then use the Third Side concept by trying to prevent any conflict from arising, and if conflict does arise try to resolve the conflict productively with a win-win outcome if possible; and lastly contain any power struggles. I personally appreciate what I have learned about the Third Side concept and I will use the concept to help me become a better communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temika,

    I agree with your choices, I also believe that mutual respect between communicators is very important. We really have to treat others how we would like to be treated and the world would be a more loving and caring place. It is a shame that when you try to pass on knowledge to someone because you care, they can receive it in such negative ways because, many times they are in denial. Positive connections along with respect and compassion make for effective communication to take place. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete